Peak Pose Challenge: Firefly with Fiji

Our 1st group Peak Pose Challenge begins on September 10th. In this one, Fiji takes you to Firefly Pose (Tittibhasana) through a series of 3 classes.

Post here if you would like to share comments or ask questions.

1 Like

Great that you’re doing this.

Is this the type of pose that should be achievable to do in three classes or is this more about laying the foundations for doing in the future? Is it mainly for advanced students?

Is there a chance of doing a peak pose challenge on bridge in the future. I’ve also wondered how I can progress from doing back bends to bridge without doing myself an injury!

1 Like

Day one done! Great arm strengthening class, and I was encouraged that I could fly for a second! Thank you, Fiji!

1 Like

It depends on your body, but many can absolutely achieve this in 3 poses. It is for intermediate to advanced students.

Yes, we’re planning on doing a peak pose challenge for full wheel pose, which will involve variations on full wheel, including bridge pose.

Way to go! On to class 2! :slight_smile:

Hello! I’ve done all three classes in the workshop! Thank you for creating them. How can I prevent myself from straining my lower back in firefly?

1 Like

Happy to hear you have done all three classes. It is important to remember that these peak poses take time, flexibility and strength are key factors in this pose and those take time to develop. It may be that doing the first 2 classes for a while is needed to prepare you to move saftely into the pose. Straigtening the legs asks a lot of the hamstrings and over doing this could lead to a strain in the lower back. Try working on wide legged forward fold as a daily pracitce to prep your body for this frame.

Hi everyone!
I love this series and come back to the first two classes every few months at least - I find them great all round classes for arms and legs and have definitely helped my general yoga practice. So thank you so much!
I feel a bit egotistical even asking this but…I basically still can’t do firefly (I can do a very dodgy and limp looking version…but am definitely not “flying”, haha). I don’t massively mind, but I wondered whether anyone had some insight into the main thing that needs working on - I can do other arm balances - 8 angle pose, crow, flying pigeon, head stand…but this one, and the “levitating seat” one that Fiji uses quite a bit in other classes, are just not really getting anywhere after a good few year! I have tight hips generally, so wonder if it’s a hip thing, a core strength thing, an arm strength thing… My arms seem too short to get my legs out of the way and out, but I guess I can’t keep them up either (as with the levitating seat one…)
I know I’m probably asking an impossible question here and patience is the key… any pointers very welcome but thank you all the same - I love the classes!
Thanks, Katherine

I applaud your dedicated effort on this pose! It can be challenging for a variety of reasons, tight hamstrings, shorter arms (something I am working with), or strength. I would venture to say it is not strength for you, perhaps a combo of the other two. Try doing it with 2 blocks under your hands, cork or wook blocks so they are more stable. Let us know what happens!

Fiji

Thanks so much for this Fiji, I will try that with the blocks, and work on my hamstrings! Definitely makes sense. Thank you for this and all you do for the site and yoga! I’ll let you know if and when I fly…
Katherine

Short arm problems here, too! I’ll try using blocks to help. :slight_smile: