Practicing during your period?

Hi there, I’ve heard so many different opinions about whether/how to practice during your period. What are the instructors thoughts here? How do DYWM instructors adjust their practice for menstruation, or not? Also, recommendations for specific videos/practices here that are recommended during menstruation?

To many forward bends

Hi Callie,

Yes there are a lot of different opinions on this matter and I always advise students to follow what resonates with them. Traditionally from an ashtanga yoga perspective it is advised not to practice on new moon days or while menstruating. Many students of ashtanga follow this advice but some do not. Other styles of yoga don’t really have a set policy on this and it is left to the discretion of the student. I personally take it easy during this time on my mat, avoid deep twisting, long inversions, and anything really strenuous.

I’ve thought of trying to create my own 30 day sequence for this reason, with a few days of shorter, gentler, restorative-type classes built in. Otherwise I find myself having to skip over days of the challenges and then feeling I haven’t done it ‘properly’.

Thanks Fiji, that is very helpful!

Yes I agree, I wonder about that with the challenges/multi-day sequences also. It would be great to have a 30-day sequence that gives space for/attention to menstruation and our bodies’ specific needs during that time. I’d love to know if there are specific videos that you’ve found/find as you piece together your sequence!

I’ll take this opportunity to jump in here! We’ve received a few requests for classes that women can do during their period, so we’re planning to film one or more to post early in the new year.

Stay tuned!