Where to start after recuperation?

Hello
I had an operation to repair a hernia in September, and have been recuperating since. I want to restart my yoga practice but wasn’t sure where to begin. I wondered if yin or recuperative practices would be appropriate? Does anybody have any experience of returning to practice after hernia repair? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Graham

1 Like

Hi Graham.
Thanks for the post. Have you received any advice from a health practitioner or done any research online? My inclination is to have you slowly strengthening your core and gently stretching the back, shoulder, hips and legs while avoiding backbends.
Have you started with anything up til this point?
Cheers,
David

Hi David

Many thanks for your reply.
I’ve not really done anything so far except meditations. I did wonder about seeing my GP again, but when I asked about yoga during my recuperation she was generally encouraging and just said to take it easy. I also wondered whether starting with the pilates or core strength classes might be an idea.
Thanks again
Graham

1 Like

Hi Graham.
That sounds like a good approach to me - a blend of pilates and yoga. Pilates can be extremely effective at regaining core strength and yoga will help keep the areas around the hernia flexible.
Like your doctor said, you still want to be careful. Don’t push into pain and if you are too sore or tight the following day, take a day off and do less the next time.
Cheers,
David