Yoga as only form of exercise

Hi I began my yoga practice 2 months ago and love it so much I can not get myself to do any other exercise, My question is … is practicing yoga everyday enough to stay healthy and in shape at the age of 56?

1 Like

Hi there. Good question. The answer is a bit complicated, though… mostly because it depends on what you are looking for.

Yoga is great for strength, flexibility, balance, relaxation, mental calm, muscle tone, circulation and it’s known to be helpful for many conditions. The one thing it has never been proven to be effective at is improving cardio. Yoga simply doesn’t increase the heart rate enough.

At 56 - and I know this since I’m in my mid 40’s and am experiencing the impact of getting older - yoga can be one of the best things you can do, since it helps you avoid common issues like arthritis, heart conditions and nervous disorders. So, again, it depends on what you are looking for.

Take care,

David

1 Like

I would add that yoga can be the foundation to a healthier outlook towards life. Whether that’s increased levels of energy to do other activities, improved diet, better sleep, that type of thing. It can have a very positive impact on so many aspects and at any age, that is a very good thing.

1 Like

HI there,

It is a while since you posted but your point is still important, especially to a 59yo like me.
Raising heart rate is so important to protect against stroke and vascular dementia. With this in mind I was just checking out the class ‘morning wake up and move’ by Ron Stewart. I notice that he is breathing hard and so guess his heart rate is up and, given he is super fit like the other teachers, presume his heart is getting a good workout.
Not a randomised control trial, and maybe because he was talking as he worked, but it demonstrated that his heart was working hard. I think!

1 Like