October 30-Day Community Challenge: 7-Day Chakra Healing Series with Fiji McAlpine

I had no idea what to expect with this series, but was drawn to it for some reason. Completing the series, now I know why, my body was in dire need of balancing itself out. Fiji’s calm voice draws you in, she made it safe to feel vulnerable and dig deep into what things where holding me back.

Thank you for this series, thank you for Fiji’s classes and thank you DYWM for being ON point. I share this site as often as I can.

Namaste.

3 Likes

I am so happy you found this series and decided to take the deep dive! There is so much power and potential that we hold as individuals and as you said, sometimes we hold ourselves back from expressing it! I hope you come back to these classes whenever you need to restore balance and flow of who you are!

1 Like

Hello Fiji,
I am very found of your videos and am a subscriber to “Do yoga with me". I do have a question concerning fascia. Do you offer any session that helps stretch the fascia and contributes to heal the body from tensions. I find there is very little information about fascia and how can help cure the body and relieve pain associated with knots and tensions.
Thank you again for all the benefits I gain form your teachings.
Sincerely
Lynne

1 Like

Hi Lynne,

I am happy to hear you enjoy the classes and that you are part of our subscriber community. As one of the perks make sure you seek out the private facebook group/forum called doyogawithme I post weekly features on topics just like this! The good news is that myofascial release is one of the benefits of a yoga practice! You will find the classes that have longer holds in deep stretches will really help relieve fascia tension in the body. Yin classes are a great compliment to the more dynamic practices for this reason.

1 Like

Chakra One: Muladhara (root chakra)
The chakra system is an interconnected and interdependent system, each charka has its own qualities and purpose and are all equally important in our overall well-being. That being said, the function of the first chakra directly impacts the function of each chakra that follows it. Much like the necessity of a tree to have a strong and healthy set of roots connecting it to the earth, humans also have a need to establish a secure foundation in order to grow and be fruitful. The location of this chakra is often referenced in the base of the tail bone, while some schools of Ayurveda believe this chakra is actually the only one not housed in the spine, instead the energy centre is located in the pelvic floor. The element of this chakra is that of earth, the source of energy, safety, and nourishment. The color is red, representative of the life force that supports and nourishes our body. The right of this chakra is to be, to feel we have a place that will support our basic needs and that we are truly meant to be here now. This is often referred to as the seat of fight or flight, as the root chakra essentially involves our basic survival needs.
In balance we feel grounded, at home in our own skin, awake and in harmony with the physical body which is the home of our spirit. When we are deficient (not enough energy flowing through this chakra) we feel flighty, disconnected with our physical sensations, passive or meek, and fearful that we don’t have enough. In excess ( too much energy running through the system) we may be aggressive, display hording behaviours in our relationship to money, things, food etc.
Healing mantras could include: I am here now. I am connected to a strong foundation. I source my ground and my needs are met. I have enough, I am enough.

3 Likes

Chakra 2: Svadhisthana (Sacral Chakra)
Once a solid foundation is set our energy can move freely up to the second chakra housed in the pelvic girdle in the coccygeal region near the base of the spine. There is a strong correlation with the sexual organs and the essence of creation. This chakra is responsible for our ability to feel on multiple levels and its health is reflected in our ability to enjoy our feelings. This is also the seat of personal creativity and passion which we acknowledge to be essential parts to a long, healthy, and fulfilling life. The color of this chakra is orange and the element is water. While earth is essential for supporting and sustaining life, water is a key component in the creation of life. The quality of fluidity is embodied by this chakra and allows us to move, feel, and express with a sense of easy and enjoyment.

In balance we have a healthy relationship to pleasure on all levels and from all sources in life. We are able to creatively express the inner dimensions of who we are and share our unique gifts freely. When the chakra is closed to some degree and deficient in energy there can be lack of creativity or inspiration, high levels of of guilt associated with pleasurable feelings. In excess we can manifest behaviours of over indulgence in the pleasures, to a degree that is harmful to our overall well-being.

Healing Mantras could include: I feel on all levels. Pleasure is essential to living a fruitful life. My creativity flows freely though me.
Chakra 3: Manipura (Sense of Self)

Once we are established in roots, ease into our ability to feel, we then establish a sense of self and self-determination. It is not enough for individuals to be self-sustaining, feeling creatures, we also need the ability to self-govern from a strong sense of our own personal integrity. This chakra is housed in the spine around our solar plexus, here connecting to and trusting our gut feelings. The element is that of fire and the color is yellow, there is an element of tapas or heat required to be courageous enough to advocate for what we believe in. There is a delicate balance in this chakra that is essential in allowing us to stand in our own self-actualization and not bend to or overpower the will of others.

In balance we have a strong sense of our own beliefs, opinions, and moral compass and use this sense to guide our decisions and actions in life. We are able stand in our own power without bowing to the strong will of society or another person, at the same time we allow others in our life to be guided by their own sense of self. When deficient we may appear to be a follower, unsure of or ignoring our own inner compass. When confronted by another who is dominating in nature we retreat into self, and go along quietly guided by the will of others. When in excess may be assertive in our opinions and need for control, we have the need to have the last word, always be right and always act upon our impulses.

Healing mantras could include: I have the right to act, guided by my inner voice. I speak and act from a my own inner compass. I guide my course, and allow others to guide their own.

2 Likes

Chakra 3: Manipura (Sense of Self)

Once we are established in roots, ease into our ability to feel, we then establish a sense of self and self-determination. It is not enough for individuals to be self-sustaining, feeling creatures, we also need the ability to self-govern from a strong sense of our own personal integrity. This chakra is housed in the spine around our solar plexus, here connecting to and trusting our gut feelings. The element is that of fire and the color is yellow, there is an element of tapas or heat required to be courageous enough to advocate for what we believe in. There is a delicate balance in this chakra that is essential in allowing us to stand in our own self-actualization and not bend to or overpower the will of others.

In balance we have a strong sense of our own beliefs, opinions, and moral compass and use this sense to guide our decisions and actions in life. We are able stand in our own power without bowing to the strong will of society or another person, at the same time we allow others in our life to be guided by their own sense of self. When deficient we may appear to be a follower, unsure of or ignoring our own inner compass. When confronted by another who is dominating in nature we retreat into self, and go along quietly guided by the will of others. When in excess may be assertive in our opinions and need for control, we have the need to have the last word, always be right and always act upon our impulses.

Healing mantras could include: I have the right to act, guided by my inner voice. I speak and act from a my own inner compass. I guide my course, and allow others to guide their own

2 Likes

Chakra 4: Anahata (heart chakra)

What life would be worth living without love? The right of this chakra is to love and be loved. This is also the centre of the chakra system and often what people consider the centre of themselves. This chakra is also the gateway between the lower more physical chakras, to the upper more ethereal chakras. As this gate way chakra is in the exact middle of the chakra system it also embodies the ideal of balance. This balance is experienced in each of us with every cycle of breath we take, the inhale is complimented and balanced by the exhale.
Not surprisingly, the element of this chakra is the element of air and the organs most closely associated with this chakra is that of the heart and lungs. The color of this chakra is a lustrous green, for me it reminds me of our connection to the natural world and its constant reminders of balance in life.

In balance we have healthy boundaries, especially around our relationships with others. We are able to freely express and receive love and there is a balanced amount of both. We feel a love has a significant role in our daily life and express it with ease in relationships with others and with ourselves. When deficient in this chakra we may be described as cold hearted, lacking daily love in our life from external or internal sources. We feel undeserving of love from others and often will be overly sacrificing of ourselves in relationships to the point of codependence. When Excessive we have the inability to maintain our own emotional balance, fluctuating from one extreme to another. We may appear to be or feel we are ruled by our emotions and have not control of them in our life.

Healing mantras could include: I love and am loved in perfect balance. I am deserving of love from myself and others. I live in balance with my emotions.

2 Likes

Chakra 5: Vishuddha

True blue. The color of this chakra is blue and the main purpose is clear, truthful expression and communication. Communication is achieved through both speaking and listening and learning to be skillful in both of these is essential in the optimal function of this chakra. What has lead up to this point in the chakra system is the development of our sense of self, this chakra is then the gateway to connect the inner self with the outside world and those who live in it. The element of this chakra is that of Akasha or space, this is an incredibly important element in yoga and in our understanding of the universe. Each of us is comprised mostly of space, tiny particles held together to create our form but the space within us is the greatest component. Our own truth and creativity must navigate through the inner space to find its way into expression through Vishuddha.

The throat, neck, jaw, thyroid, and larynx are the area physically associated with this chakra and an imbalance in this chakra can result in physical ailments in these locations. When we are in balance in the 5th chakra we speak with clarity, honesty, and confidence. We are able to express our emotions, thoughts, hopes, and ideas with ease to those around us. When we are deficient in this chakra, we are timid and don’t speak up when needed, and often have a hard time expressing even our basic needs. When we are excessive in this chakra, we have a hard time listening to others, we are aggressive in our own speech, and talk over others.

Healing Mantras could include: I speak my truth with ease. I listen to others deeply. I communicate skillfully.

2 Likes

Chakra 6: Ajna or Third Eye

The term third eye eludes to the type of seeing beyond mere sight that is represented by this particular chakra. While the right of this chakra is to see, it is the ability to see beyond illusion with clarity and purity. The eventual illumination would be seeing things untainted by our own opinions, and perceptions, as the observer. Sight in this chakra is also two directional, seeing our external and internal landscapes with this type of clarity.
The color of this chakra is Indigo and the element is that of light, or a combination of the 5 earthly elements. The physical areas of the body are the eyes base of skull and brow. This chakra is the seat of wisdom, the deeper type of knowing that we source from within not from information we have acquired externally.

In balance we see our world and relationships with clarity and see past any imposed illusions. We are creative, imaginative, and intuitive. We trust our intuition and follow its lead. The two hemispheres of our brain are balanced and working with synchronicity allowing a harmonious balance or analytical and intuitive thought. When we are deficient in this chakra we are fearful of change because we lanck the imagination to draw a mental picture of what is possible. We are indecisive because we are unable to trust our own instincts and utilize both sides of the brain. We feel stifled creatively and don’t exercise any imagination in thought or problem solving. When excessive in this chakra imaginative thinking is overwhelming and we live in illusion, don’t see the reality of what is happening around us or within our intimate relationships. Thinking itself can be a nonstop barrage that fatigues the mind, with too much insight, visioning and observation.

Healing Mantras could include: I see things in my life with clarity. I connect with and trust my own intuition. I have a healthy and balanced sense of imagination and rational thought.

2 Likes

Chakra 7: Sahasrara Crown Chakra
Just as it is with a majestic and ancient tree, the chakra system has a base or root and an apex or peak. This peak is the last physical stop along the energetic journey up the system before touching the universe that lies beyond. This is the vessel of selfless consciousness, where the ego dissolves and is absorbed by the underlying thread that connects all life. This is where divine unity is experienced without the confines of thought.

The chakra is represented by a thousand petal lotus, The color is purple or white, and there is no element association. The right is to know, a wisdom beyond learned knowledge. The physical connection to this chakra are the penial glands which are located where the two hemispheres of the brain join, in essence the place of unity between the different aspects of self. These glands are also responsible for regulating our consciousness and perhaps would play a role as that consciousness transformed.
When in balance we feel a balance of our conscious and subconscious, we feel both grounded in our earthly experience yet ultimately connected to others and something greater. In excess the crown chakra can identify too heavily with the ego, behaviours of superiority and disconnection from our earthly experience can lead to isolation. When too little energy makes its way to this chakra we can be depressed and lack any sense of spirituality. We have the inability to imagine or feel the underlying connection that links us to other living things.
Healing mantras could include: I live in deep connection with the universe. My sense of grounding connects me to the root source of all living things. I trust my intuition and feel connected to others.

2 Likes

Hey Fiji, I’d just like to thank you for this chakra series. You are my favourite yoga teacher and I enjoyed the series far more than I thought i would. I am generally put off by the more esoteric aspects of yoga. However you emphasised the meditative and emotionally healing parts of the chakra system really well. It was like DIY psychotherapy! I welcome the chakra system as a more engaging way of meditating (it’s more fun than just focusing on the breath) and for connecting with one’s emotions (especially for the more emotionally crippled among us). Thanks again, much love and cheerio.

2 Likes

Hey Fiji,

Thank you so much for publishing this series! I have been a practitioner of yoga on and off for a couple years now, but this class truly helped me realize the healing power of yoga not just on your body but on your mind. I appreciate your work and will definitely continue subscribing and watching!

Best,
Sean

1 Like

Welcome to the forum thread for Fiji’s 7-Day Chakra Healing Series. This popular program is our Community Challenge for November, 2018.

This thread was started a few months ago, so you will see comments above already. You will also be able to read Fiji’s daily posts on the day’s chakra. You may find them to be an important resource as you make your way through the challenge.

Have fun! Share your experience with everyone else below!

Hi Fiji,
after having being through the 14 days challenge I look forward to starting this series with you. Unfortunately the link I received doesn’t work. How can I get a new one?
With gratitude

I’m looking forward to doing this challenge. I’ve done some chakra work before, but nothing this in depth.

1 Like

Fiji…greetings! I was excited to find this challenge as one of the many offerings highlighted in the latest email to subscribers. My interest in this was piqued last summer at your Hollyhock retreat.I also managed to get my hands on a copy of the book you mentioned there "Eastern Body: Western Mind " by Anoda Judith and learned some more through that. An appealing journey to embark on anytime, but especially now when days and time choices are much more under own control.

1 Like

Hi @vzipoli. I apologize for the delay in replying. Do you mean that the link in the email didn’t work?
I’m sure you figured it out, but you can always go to the challenge’s main page to access all of the classes.
Take care,
David