Sangha Session 16: "What is the biggest thing that you feel our site is missing, the one thing you wish we had?

Hi David,
I’ve already posted about this elsewhere, but the one thing I would really appreciate on the site is the option (even just once a week) for live-streamed classes. Posting here in case others may also be interested.
I love the idea many have voiced of a calendar showing what classes you did when, as I have a hard time staying organized enough to write them down and keep track! Also, audio only would be great for me as I live in the north where the internet is pretty slow, and sometimes even 240 or 360p has a hard time streaming :sweat_smile:
Very grateful for this site in its present iteration, it just keeps getting better.
Chanda

1 Like

Hello again, Chanda! Sorry, I didn’t answer your live stream question in the other post. We have considered live stream, but it’s difficult choosing a day and time that works for everyone around the world. When we did them, we ended up only getting 10 or 20 people doing the class with us. People seem to have busy lives and for that reason the on-demand option seems to work best.
Thank you so much for the feedback. Our current video streaming service (we just changed) should be adapting the stream according to the speed of your internet. Let me know if you’re having problems.
Also, we will be upgrading the site in early 2020 to include many new user-features, including being able to track the classes that you like the most.
Cheers,
David

1 Like

Firstly, I love the whole site! I would really love a way to track my progress in programs and challenges. Currently, I have to make a note elsewhere of which sessions I’ve finished and then search again for the next class. Would be great to have that at log in. Thanks so much for all the great classes! I’m saving hours driving to and from studio and getting much more practice in my life!

2 Likes

Thank you for asking for our opinions, David! First off, allow me to compliment you and your team for your overall excellence; because of that, DoYogaWithMe is the only yoga site I’ve ever subscribed to. As others have already expressed, I endorse the wish for a better search function to find classes (and not everything on the site containing the word one searches for) that are devoted to specific issues one might want to address at any given time, such as body parts, or feelings—say stress or sadness—or practices that are suitable for different times of the day (like morning, after work, and bedtime). I realize you asked for the ONE thing we wished you had, but if you don’t mind, I have just one more: really wish there was more regularity in releasing new classes, such as weekly or some other length of time that’s doable. It’s wonderful to come to the site and find a new video to try. Overall though, keep up the great and beneficent work you all are already doing!

2 Likes

@nella.spanke @cas87
Thank you! Thank you for loving what we do and for providing great feedback.
The ability to track classes and challenges better is coming in 2020. A better search function is coming very soon, early 2020. And yes, we generally aim to post 2 classes weekly, on Monday and Thursday, but our lead up to the 2020 new year’s challenges have impacted that. It will be back to normal by mid January.

1 Like

It would be nice to have less instruction during intermediate and advanced classes for those who have been practicing with DYWM teachers for a long time. Less talking will allow one a deeper focus within during their practice. Thank you

1 Like

Good suggestion, @happytobepamelalee. Thanks.

I will do another pose during ones which may not be safe for the 60+ group. For example, during headstand I will hold a plank instead. I won’t do shoulder stand or wheel or crow.
There are age-related changes that need extra work but for those of us who are already fit, and speaking for myself, I want the intensity but the poses need to be safe. While I did all yoga poses years ago I won’t take that risk now. For many of the videos, I will be doing other poses for more of the video than I would want to.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a program of gentle yoga for fibromyalgia.

1 Like

I wish so much there was an app available to use DoYogaWithMe with Firestick! I’m unfortunately on the verge of canceling my account- which I truly don’t want to do, I LOVE the classes offered here!- because I cannot find a reliable way to get the videos onto the TV I use in my home gym space. I don’t really have a good spot to balance a laptop in there, and truly love the experience of having a full screen to watch. DYWM is a great community and I find myself craving these classes.
As I said, finding somewhere to balance a laptop or some complicated way of connecting it is the last thing I want to think about when I just want to walk in, roll out my mat, and get into yoga. I’ve tried several apps for screen mirroring but none seem to work reliably and I generally find myself more stressed by the time I finally get SOMETHING on the screen (usually from another existing yoga app) so I’ve given up.
If there are any plans to add Firestick capability, an app etc, or ANY suggestions on easy ways to get these videos up on screen, I’m very open to it! If anyone has found a way and would share that would be great! I would love to continue supporting the site. :slight_smile:
Thank you!
(Also, the only other suggestion I would have for site improvements would be the ability to select a time range, rather than the set 20 minute increments when searching. Sometimes I would love to be able to select, say, 15-60 minutes and go with what feels best, and see all the options in that range!)

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback. I’m sorry that we haven’t been able to make casting to a TV easier for you. We are currently in the process of building an app that we hope to launch in April or May of this year. I’m not sure if it will be Firestick compatible at this time, but I can find out.

We also moved over all of our videos to a new streaming service that allows for quick casting to a TV using chromecast or apple tv. I’m not sure if those are options for you. If they are, you will now see icon on the top corners of the video for those two services.

To answer your last comment, we will be updating our search filters to include more precise duration searches, along with other features. We should have those updated by the end of this month.

Let me know if you have any other comments or questions.

Take care,

David

1 Like

Poss modification videos.

2 Likes

Thanks, Percevial. That’s a good one.

@sabrinacarmichael Many Smart TVs have a built-in web browser. I’m able to launch the site in the browser and stream it from there. Hopefully you have found a solution!

1 Like

Any chance you would make a bloopers video of when instructors fall over? It would make me feel way better about my lack of balance :rofl:

1 Like

There are a few on our Bloopers and Outakes page. We plan to add more. I can see how that would be a motivator in a funny kind of way!

1 Like

Thanks David! I hadn’t stumbled on that page. It’s fun to see everyone that everyone is human :grinning:

definitely would like to be able to save the classes I want to do again

1 Like

Not sure if this has been recommended previously. It would be really nice if within each day of a challenge or series, the page had a button to advance to the next day rather than needing to go back to the main challenge page and find the next day from the full list.

1 Like

Good feedback, Barry. I’ll look into that, thanks!

1 Like