How to progress with Pigeon?

I love Pigeon pose, but I feel like I’m not able to move fully into the pose (yet!). My front leg is not even close to parallel with front of the mat; it’s tucked backwards under my body. My butt doesn’t really touch the mat either (most days). I can still fold forwards over my front leg and it feels great, but I also feel like I’m stuck at this level. I want to move deeper into pigeon. Release those hips!

Are their poses/exercises/practices I can do to help those sticky spots and gradually find my deeper pigeon? Thanks in advance!

I used to be there, too! Rachel has a great tutorial here on the site about pigeon pose!

Thank you! I’ll check this one out, though it isn’t my knees that are the issue with pigeon. Just the hips! I think it’s actually my lower back that can’t quite release enough…yet

Oh, I see! I think that David has some good classes on the lower back and the hips that are designed to help open the hips using a strap. You’ll get there! :slight_smile:

Terrific, I’ll look into those. Thank you!

This is a tricky pose for sure when our hips are tight, you can try doing figure 4 on your back or reclined pigeon pose. This will help make space in the hips in a more accessible way then Pigeon might get easier. You can also prop up your sitbone with a blanket or block that can help you find more ease in the pose so the muscles can relax.

1 Like

Thank you, Fiji! I’ll try the blanket thing during my practice and remember to do my figure 4 more often :slight_smile: