Sangha Session 22: "If YTT piques your interest, would you do it to simply deepen your practice or eventually teach yoga classes?

For our 22nd Sangha Session, we would like to see how many of you get excited about doing a YTT (Yoga Teacher Training) program, and why.

Is it because you have a dream of being a yoga teacher, or do you see it as a way to learn more about yoga and yourself and deepen your practice?

If you would like to check out our 250-hour Yoga Teacher Training program, you can find it here.

I did a YTT program because I wanted to deepen my practice and know more about the process of teaching yoga and bring the skill home to encourage a husband diagnosed with Parkinson’s. My goal was not to become a full time teacher. I have taught some classes, though and I realize that teaching a class helps me in my own practice. The course was life changing. I took a26 day course in Baja and would highly recommend the experience.

2 Likes

I would consider a YTT… probably not right now, but maybe in a few years. I do not have any interest in teaching yoga classes, but eventually I could see that an intense experience like a YTT program would be very helpful to inform my personal practice. I started doing yoga regularly about a year ago (thank you, DYWM!) primarily to avoid losing more flexibility. I feel that my flexibility has increased and now I am becoming more curious about how far I can travel along this path. I have so many questions-- such as, can I not do this pose because I lack the strength, or because I lack the courage? Is it possible for me to increase my flexibility even further, or will this variation of a pose always be out of reach? How can I use yoga to help me stay healthy as I age? (some of my favorite forms of exercise are becoming more difficult to do because of joint pain). If I ever decided to do a YTT, it would be for personal reasons. There are so many good yoga teachers, I don’t feel I would add anything! But I am curious, for myself.

3 Likes

I feel similarly - I’d love to do a YTT for personal practice but it feels indulgent cost wise at the moment for me! I’d love to focus time and energy in yoga though, so hopefully one day!

1 Like

I already have my KYTT500hr but would consider taking another. There is so little opportunity to interact with other yogis. And fewer opportunities to participate in refresher and interest yoga courses where I live. So another whole teacher training appeals to me.

2 Likes

Am considering it to deepen my own practice. I doubt I’d have any interest in teaching it. But who knows, I’m studying health/nutrition right now for my own needs, but could see using what I learn to help others in some capacity or another. So maybe a YTT would be the same. I guess my area of interest would be helping older people or people with special needs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming!

Our first online cohort is moving through Level 1 of our YTT now, so we’ll soon have a lot of feedback from students that we can share.

Love your reply. Much of what you said resonates with me–I have 2 replaced knees and have seen much more flexibility since taking a YTT… and I have many of the same questions as you do regarding aging, strength and flexibility. Thank you.

1 Like

I so agree with you–so difficult to get to classes or find in-depth programs where I live.

1 Like

I decided to sign up for a 200 hour yoga training, which is 20 hours a month for several months in my home town. It started in September and we are 60 hours into it. I am really glad I did! I signed up not sure if teaching yoga would be something I can do, or at least right away. The teacher is a little bit go with the flow, and not getting very technical about how to teach certain poses, not super organized. It’s feeling more focused on general concepts of yoga and the history and traditions. These things are interesting, and I’m enjoying it, but sometimes I wish for more practical teaching advise that would empower me towards teaching… or even just creating my own more structured practice for myself. I might consider doing DYWM’s teacher training after this because if I do want to teach, I get the sense their training would actually prepare me to feel competent with the technical aspects of teaching yoga (going on the clarity I have so far experienced using DYWM practices). I have been using the videos on here almost everyday for the last six months. I am really thankful for this site and all the yoga teachers that have made so many wonderful videos!

2 Likes

That sounds like a good plan!

In case you aren’t aware of it, the first course in our program, Level 1 Orientation, is free. It goes through an outline of what to expect in the 250-hour training. Also, if you would like to try one of the other courses, let me know and I can enrol you temporarily.

1 Like