Gentle yoga for Long Covid, chronic pain sufferers?

I love your site, and the classes have been a big part of my yoga practice for years. But, due to physical challenges and pain after Covid (mine was in Feb of 2020), I find I cannot do most of the classes anymore… I just can’t quite keep up! I suspect I am not alone in wishing for more slow-paced, gentle classes that still allow one to be a part of this community.

8 Likes

Hello Kate :wave: I just did Melissa Krieger’s Morning Meditation and Stretch. It’s about 20 minutes and really gentle and you definitely feel yogish! I too haven’t been feeling well and it was just the thing to get me going! Also Guy Friswell has a few too: Slow Flow seated practice, 20 min. and it’s on the beach ! And one called just called Slow Flow. I like to use the filter search feature when I want something specific -you can put in your time , ability level, type of yoga etc.
Welcome to the forum !
Heather

1 Like

I highly recommend Melissa’s classes, as well. She has a lovely, slower paced style and has many Beginner I and II classes.

1 Like

Hi Kate, It look like you have been given some great advice. I would also reccommend Mellissa, her hatha classes are great. Guy has some nice gentle flows too!

1 Like

I suggest you consider restorative and yin yoga classes for quiet, calming, slow classes

2 Likes

Hi, I would add Satiya Channer and Sarah Holmes classes to the list of gentle classes. Wishing you strength and perseverance in your recovery.

2 Likes

I did not have COVID but got the double vaccine in October. My liver and spleen are still enlarged. Breathing is difficult. I have changed my diet to adapt, but I am really struggling on the mat.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with Long Covid. It would be great if DYWM could do some very gentle, autonomic nervous system-recalibration classes specifically for LC, ME/CFS, and fibromyalgia. In the meantime there’s the excellent Suzy Bolt in Brighton UK, on YouTube and 360 Mind Body Soul, who has designed a whole program for LC. You can access all her classes on playback for £5 a week. Free stuff on YouTube. It’s been a total game-changer for me.

1 Like

I will suggest this to the team and ask if anyone has experience teaching something like this.

Thanks, Fiji. As I’m sure you know, there are lots of people out there dealing with LC and in combination with the other conditions with similar challenges around PEM (post-exertional malaise), we’re talking quite a large number of people and a big potential audience for this kind of content. A breath-centred practice with minimal, gentle movement and lots of breaks to ‘come back’ to the breath can be extremely helpful, as I’ve found.

2 Likes