Hero's pose: knee pain in one knee

I started yoga in March here and I’ve learned so much. I am very grateful. Many aches and pains have receded or lessened. I have one issue I don’t quite understand. When I do hero’s pose with no support there is pain in the front top of one knee and also in the back of that knee lower down towards the calf. Is there a stretch or strengthening exercise I could do? It is only one knee so I am hoping I can work with this. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m interested in this too. I have the same situation. My physical therapist originally thought my quad was way too-tight & we’ve been working on that. But she is stymied that simultaneously I have pain the back of the knee, lower down. Like there is a knot.

1 Like

Hi there. It’s not unusual to have tight quads and calves in the same leg. It sounds to me that that’s the case for both of you. If you do a search on ‘quadricep’ and ‘calf’ in the search box on our site you’ll find pose videos that show you how to stretch those muscles effectively.

I would also highly recommend rolling out your quads on a foam roller or two tennis balls in a sock.

1 Like