Knees and torn ACL

I have enjoyed yoga for a number of years but I have had a very unfortunate ski injury which has resulted in a complete tear of my ACL. I am currently considering physio or surgery, I am 62. Does anybody have experience of life after such an injury? I want to feel optimistic about doing yoga post my knee problems.

1 Like

Dear ttrucwy
I have not torn my ACL, but my meniscus on my left knee. I had surgery in april 2016, and started doing light physio straight after to recover. After a few of months I was back on the mat, but used a pillow under my left knee. I can now do yoga every day, but knee still feels a bit stiff and tight some days. And I sometimes use a pillow. It’s OK :). I benefit from walking and cycling, but I do avoid running.

However, summer 2017 I started having problems with my right knee (meniscus). This time I chose physio only, and have had SO much benefit from that. Hopefully no surgery this time.

Wishing you good luck, and hope you can continue your practise.

1 Like

Hi Odette. Many thanks for your reply, it is reassuring me that there are others out there with similar problems. I hope your right knee improves. Take care, Terry

1 Like

Hi, I have a student in my class who had this problem last winter, although it wasn’t a complete tear. She tried skiing for the first time age 49 and also had an unfortunate accident :wink:
She had only physio and not surgery. She wore a brace for quite a while and avoided yoga for at least 3-5 months, if my memory serves me correctly. When she returned to my class I showed her some poses which strengthen the muscles which support the knee (especially the inner and outer quadriceps) and how to adapt poses that would put too much pressure on the knee (like childs pose or any seated, bent leg posture), which she religiously did for a further few months…
It’s a year later now and she has no problems in class at all. Her knee is good.
So do feel optimistic…and have loads patience with yourself.
I wish you all the best.
Valerie

1 Like

Hi Valerie, many thanks for your kind words of encouragement and hope. For this has been a double blow, not skiing and the prospect of no yoga which is core to my daily life. I have opted for surgery and the associated rehabilitation. It is comforting and reassuring to know there are fellow souls who have trod this path and gained a full recovery. Child’s pose is one of my favourite stretches, so that news is my gem of the day. Take care, Terry

1 Like

I have not injured my knee but I did a Grade III sprain to all ankle ligaments 2 years ago playing soccer. Luckily I did not require surgery, however I needed intensive physio treatment for 4 months to get back to running and playing sport. I actually look back at that time as one of the best things that’s happened to me because I learned how to really strengthen my body in ways that support being injury-free in all activities (hello glutes!). You will get there, with the right physio on board and with patience and time. There’s nothing to say you won’t go back to the same capability you had before, if not better. As this is much later than your original post, I hope you are well on your way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. Seven months on and I am now starting to feel nearly back to where I was. Still some soft tissue pains but getting better every day.

2 Likes

That’s great news! I’m glad to hear it. Even injuries can teach us something.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m rather late to this conversation, but could you please share with the community how to adapt poses that put too much pressure on the knees, such as child’s pose and virasana/hero’s pose? Or can the Do Yoga With Me teachers offer some tips—or perhaps even a class—for those of us who may have knees problems/pain? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

1 Like

I first posted the initial thread to this topic nearly 12 months ago. I was feeling at odds with the world over life going forward with a serious knee injury. As it turned out my MCL ligament healed by intself and within 8 weeks it was ok. However my ACL was never going to heal and I was due to have a surgical reconstruction. Then came the surprise that I did not have any instability in my knee and although still painful my surgeon said it would be unwise to operate to cure symptoms I did not have. So over the last 12 months I have concentrated on building back my muscular mass and slowly easing my way back to yoga. I now find myself back to where I was but perhaps stronger in my legs which helps with protecting my knee. A long journey of self discovery and stronger for it. The power of the body to heal itself never fails to amaze me. Have faith.

3 Likes

Injuries have an amazing way of taking us back to square one so that we build a foundation of strength :slightly_smiling_face: This has absolutely been my experience also. So glad you have fully healed.

Hello!
I am 22 years old and have just torn my ACL skiing for the second time (same knee). I got surgery the first time (around two years ago) and regained my yoga practice after I was healed after around 5 or 6 months. I actually believe yoga helped me, as it helped me gain my flexibility and strength back in my leg (physically as well as mentally).
I wish you well on your journey.
Maddie