Learn How to Live with Anxiety

This is the forum thread for those moving through the Yoga for Chronic Stress, Anxiety and Depression program. You can post comments or questions for me, or the community, here.

Take care,

David
DoYogaWithMe Founder

2 Likes

What is the anxiety program …? Thanks ,hila

I haven’t strictly followed the program because I am concurrently taking a Mindfulness Meditation class, and I’m following their curriculum. But to fulfill my homework obligations for that class I frequently use your guided meditations. I especially like the Turn it Off one. Very grateful to you!!!

1 Like

Hi. It’s the Yoga for Chronic Stress, Anxiety and Depression program that can be found on our Yoga Programs page.

That’s great to hear! Thank you for sharing.

You are a source of comfort to me. Very grateful.

2 Likes

Thank you for the course. I’m just about to start week 3 and I think it is definitely helping.
Can you please explain how to “turn off nervous tension” which you say to do. Is there a technique like there is for relaxing?

1 Like

Hi @LloydS. The intention is to get you to experience turning off your nervous tension. Are you able to do it? If you can what does it feel like?

Hi David I haven’t been able to experience turning off nervous tension. I don’t know how and I think it’s a major factor in my chronic stress. I can relax muscular tension now, so I’d really appreciate some techniques and suggestions for turning off nervous tension as well. Thanks

What is the new 21 day program. After 3 videos

I recently received 3 videos. Now what is 21 day program. I get back to old one that has been on site. Is that the one your are talking about? Hard to navigate. Maybe

Maybe my computer? Finding hard to navigate. I am subscribed and it seems to keep sending me to subscribe more or again!

Hi Bette. Yes the 21 day program is the (old) anxiety program that is in our Programs area. Many of the people who sign up to receive the 3 emails are new to the sign so haven’t seen the anxiety program before. Apologies for the confusion.

In respect to the nervous tension, the first step is simply feeling it. Do you feel that you can be still, close your eyes and feel the nervous tension in your body?

In my own experience, tackling anxiety/panic attacks was like peeling an onion: getting to the core had to come in learning stages. I could not meditate in the beginning, my “generalized anxiety disorder” was a on-coming I didn’t understand; Today, people are much more open to talking about the suffering and the techniques that help them better their quality of life.
Week 3 tips are very good ones. What one strives to do is turn on the parasympathetic nervous system and that can be done by diet, counting backwards from 5 to 1, or other techniques for being present, like yoga has been good for me, but it does take practice like getting good at any endeavor does. Explore childhood traumas. Be on the web, looking into research and website that appeal to you. Dr. Kelly Brogan has been a pioneer in helping people come out of anxious / depressive states.

3 Likes

Hello Interested in Kelly Brogren. Can u tell me what to look? What would help? Anxiousness makes me not able to concentrate I need to start simple. Thanks

I can recognise when i feel nervous tension - tingling and the urge to be doing, and sometimes catastrophising thoughts that are hard to let go even when concentrating on breathing.
I wondered if there was a physical technique for turning it off, or letting it go as there is for physical tension such as softening and letting gravity take over.

1 Like

Many have profited from reading Dr. Brogan’s book: http://kellybroganmd.com/amindofyourown/

Hi Lloyd.
Yes, relaxation can be effective, absolutely. But I think what you’re referring to is the ongoing tendency of your mind to create tension and anxiety in your body. To address that, you need to watch and learn from what your mind is doing and that requires that you are paying attention as much as possible. It helps to ask questions like “Why do I feel the way I do?” or “How am I reacting to my current situation?”, questions that prompt you to look deeper into your common, everyday experience.
Does that make sense?

Thanks. That helps.
When I finished the course I found (briefly) that I seemed to change down a gear while eating lunch - much more slowly and mindfully. It’s been difficult to keep in a lower gear though, so I’m now doing parts of the course again.

1 Like

I’ve been depressed a long time. Read a little of Kelly Brogan’s. Feel duped like she says. Where to start to get off meds. Find anxiety class hard to follow at times. Now did day 3. Don’t feel. Light. Just a lot of body pain. Is this for younger people. Hard to concentrate. I’m 70. Been doing yoga 30 some years, but usually on own. Using drs, meds Thanks for listening. Bette

1 Like