Nostril Breathing alternative

Hello -

I have a deviated septum and cannot do the alternate nostril breathing - in fact classes here are how I found out! I get so little air on one side that I strain to pull air in and then over compensate on the other side to get enough air. I am not going to have surgery as I don’t suffer any other symptoms, but I wonder what a good alternative for this breathing is during a video?

Thank you. - Robin

Hello Robin,
there is a variation to Nadi Shodana which could work for you - I try to explain it:
"breath in through both nostrils in synchronicity with your breathing in, you lift your right arm - without a breath you close your right nostril with the right thumb - breath out through the left nostril - breath in through the left nostril - without a breath you put the right hand back on your lap - breath out through both nostrils -
Again breath in through both nostrils in synchonicity with your breathing in you lift your left arm - without breath you close your left nostril with your left thumb - breath out through your right nostril -after breath in through your right nostril - without a breath put your left hand back on your lap - Again breath in through both nostrils and repeat from side to side.
If its too difficult from my written instructions, I can with pleasure show you in a zoom meeting and talk you trough the procedure…
If you can manage after a while, not to overcompensate on the other side it would still be a good pranayama for you. We all have at times one nostril which is more open than the other.

Good Luck
Damara

Hi Robin,

I am happy that you found out! You can do ujjayi breathing or viloma pranayama instead, or simple 4 sided box breathing to create focus and calm.

Fiji

nasal

Hi Robin, I use nasal strips for yoga (sleeping too) and find they really help. They open up both nostrils so alternate nostril breathing is perfectly doable and they just improve breathing enormously if you have a deviated septum.
They come in different sizes and are available in clear too so they’re less obvious.
Rob.

(photo for reference only, not a brand recommendation)

1 Like