Question about yoga class etiquette

I take an outdoor yoga class in the park a few times a week. Another classmate likes to record herself on her phone to post to her Instagram page. I find this a bit distracting because I’m often in the background of the shot and I’d prefer not to be on social media in general (I don’t have an IG for example). Is this rude? Or should I be more tolerant of her right to record what she wants?

If I were you, I would simply try to avoid being in her background, although I understand this can be hard when a narcissist yogi wants to capture her “achievements” from every possible angulation.

Secondly, I would ask her to avoid taking pictures with you in the background, if they are meant to be published on social media. Taking photos of other people is not forbidden; publishing them without their consent is a whole different matter. This would be a privacy violation according to some regulations (e.g. European Regulation 2016/679).

The third thing (but this could be as well the first one) is feeling sorry for her, as she clearly did not understand anything at all about yoga…

2 Likes

Uggh! I would not like that at all either !! Maybe also speak to the instructor. The instructor could make a general announcement to the class to respect other people’s privacy & not film others.

Unfortunately - not sure where you are - but here in Maryland it is legal to record at a public “event” in an outdoor public space.

On the other hand, maybe the instructor could approach it from a “copyright” issue. The instructor designed the flow and therefore her/his “art” should not be stolen & posted on social media without her/his permission.

I take an outdoor yoga class in the park a few times a week. Another classmate likes to record herself on her phone to post to her Instagram page. I find this a bit distracting because I’m often in omegle the background of the shot and I’d prefer not to be on social media in general (I don’t have an IG for example). Is this rude? Or should I be more tolerant of her right to record what she wants?
thank you so much my issue has been solved

1 Like

How is this even a thing? Why aren’t people filming themselves when they are by themselves? I think It’s selfish to assume that it’s ok to beam footage of others unknowingly around the globe.
If I was an instructor, I would ban all electronic devices from the class.

1 Like

This is an interesting topic for sure and there is no easy way to answer the question. You are valid in your desire to not be filmed and is something you can request of this person. They may not even be aware of the impact on others and would probably at minimum change the camera angle. As far as asking her not to film herself, that is an interesting thing to ponder as we are all trying to be more open minded, accepting, and tolerant as humans. As a teacher we can set boundaries as far as our space goes as we are holding a container of safe space. I would request all electronics be put away during the class practice, and that students could use them after the class was finished.

3 Likes