Spinal stenosis

Hi. I’ve been practicing off and on for over 20 years, but lately am practicing daily. However, recently I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in my lower back, with much accompanying pain. I am under the care of a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, who has done acupuncture on me now twice, and the results have been remarkable. I still have some pain, but now can practice backbends and side bends, which I could not previously, due to the pain felt. My question is this: Is it ok to continue the practice of backbends with stenosis, since I know that backbends compress the lower spine? I know you guys don’t give medical advice, but I have yet to find a physician around me (including my Chinese practitioner) who knows anything about yoga. I strongly feel that moving the spine in all directions it can go is beneficial, but neither do I want to worsen my condition. Any comments made will be welcome and taken with a grain of salt lol!

In general if you can exercise/practice without pain or other symptoms, such as numbness and tingling, it should be fine. Keeping a strong core and good flexibility will be important in your spinal health. Have you tried talking to a physical therapist? They may be able to provide more detailed information on how to properly care for the stenosis and how you can safely exercise that is specific to you.