Thoughts on David's survey

hi again. ideas keep popping up, figured may as well share them your way. maybe helpful to have a $1 donation request alongside each free class, even if not particularly pushy, this would help us all into the mindset of offering gratitude, to be a part of it, to help support, even to cover the basic costs of hosting etc… I do think easily visible and accessible payment/ request with each class will help bring attention where it is needed, and where you have it. if we had a dashboard, it could also tell us how many classes this week/ month/ year we had done… and hence the ‘savings’ we would have from subscription v single class… ie. its a serious good deal… but somehow unless visible on a daily/weekly level, an annual subscription kind of drifts out of awareness, and hence harder to guage and feel… I suppose, an aspect of practice is also in our longer cultivation of resolve, and pride in our action or not… and so bringing the money aspect closer to the being a part of practice, is actually a part of yoga… self generation… anyway that is this morning’s pondering from me, many thanks to you all, greetings from totnes, devon, uk

Thank you so much for all your ideas and for caring so much about our community! I love the idea of a donation request for free classes, it is not an obligation and is a gesture that can be made when people feel they are able to share!

2 Likes

I didn’t get the survey but I have worked in business and in corporations. I hope you figure out what you need to do for the business to do well enough to take care of its employees and expenses. It should not be a sacrifice of anyone’s welfare to work at DYWM. That will undermine the sustainability of the mission in the longer run.

For perspective, DYWM is currently not just cheap but incredibly cheap given what it provides. If you can’t be sustainable at “incredibly cheap” forgive yourself and do what you need to do.

A problem with volunteers is that they are not self-organizing and they may cost more than they are worth in terms of management etc.

You may want to consider tiers of membership.

If you have ‘please pay $1 for free classes’ buttons you should first investigate how much places like wikipedia actually make from that system. It may not be worth it given the numbers who actually donate.

You may want to start from 'how much revenue do we really need?" and work backwards, rather than starting from “how can we increment new small streams of income”? The latter may dilute your focus and energy and waste time.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your expereince and advice! We are learning as we grow!

Hello!
I am trying to figure out which option to use.
What is the price for monthly subscription after the increase?
Sorry could not find that info.
Thanks,
megan

As of June 1st, we will be introducing our new pricing plans. Whether you are a monthly or yearly subscriber, your subscription will renew automatically at the new price after June 1st or when your plan is up for renewal.
If you are currently a monthly user, you can take advantage of our current annual plan before 31st May’22 to lock in your price for a year!

Pricing will be 13.99 per month or 108 per year. If you renew before the 31 for the annual you can lock it in at $99 per year.

Hope this helps,

Fiji

I’ve been using this remarkable site since 2016/7… & after trying other teachers, I settled on Melissa’s Core Strength & Stretch class, which very generously (for the length of time of this class is), was offered free of charge. I’d just returned to Germany after a 10-year absence, having practiced yoga extensively in South Africa, where it had a much stronger presence since the late 80s. Germany, by contrast, still had very little good yoga until about 2010 - at least here in Bavaria unsurprisingly, perhaps. Even with a studio within walking distance of my flat here, 89 kms from Munich, more challenging classes are limited to evenings & they realised that they stood to make more money from workshops for teachers & teacher training, than relying on morning classes too, for housewives.The locals are still pretty resistant to yoga for religious reasons.

So I’ve e been relying on Melissa’s class for the past 5 years & though I’ve thought about subscribing, I’m not sure it would make sense, unless an Iyengar teacher joins DYWM & offers a class or 2, lasting just over an hour or other teachers in the Seniors category do so too. Presently a lot of time is used up on explanations of asanas, lengthy Corpse Pose, or the classes are just too short, with no real build up, or they’re too fast-paced. I admire Tracey Noseworthy, but my circulation just can’t tolerate the fast pace of her Vinyasa flows, nor anyone else’s. Perhaps I ought to consult my doctor. But otherwise I deeply appreciate & I’m thankful for this remarkable site & its authentic, incredible founder, David.