When to shift from one level to another?

I am new in yoga and started this year looking for balance, flexibility and back pain help. Of course, I started at Beginners I level and I love it. However, I am in so poor shape I believe I will be in Beginners I forever, though. Just our of curiosity, when do you know/feel you are ready for the next level? Just thinking about Beginners II gives me the chills !

3 Likes

This is a great question, and one you will know the answer to over time. Have patience with yourself and know that it is all about millimeter miracles along the way. The level does is not important, it is more about how you are feeling. If you start to yearn for more challenge then bump up a level.

4 Likes

I would say to just try a one up level and see how it goes. If it gets to much or you think its to difficult stop and go back to where you are comfortable. Maybe its easier for me to say because I’ve been doing yoga for a few years and have my YTT certificate. But, for example, shortly after my teacher training I tried an Advanced 2hr class. It was extremely challenging and about 30-40 minutes in I quit the class and went back to an easier level. I thought Wow that was difficult, But Ok no harm done. At least now I know that, for me, that was too much at that time. No worries.

4 Likes

I appreciate the vulnerability in raising the topic. Yoga constantly reminds me there is no rush or race to run. I’ve settled in to being a beginner II for a while, so I ping back and forth between beginner and intermediates always finding my edge. I like that it is about how my body and life are feeling in general. Feels like a horizontal or depth process rather than a vertical one.

3 Likes

Wow I so like the term “finding my edge” . I believe that is what it is. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

I’ve been doing yoga regularly for 9 years. I am now 61. I still go back to beginners 1 or 2. To me, it really dose not matter. No matter what you do, you are still stretching and working your strength and flexibility. I don’t care if I ever stand on my head. I just go to my mat and do what I think will make be feel lovely to carry on with my day. Remember with DYWM no one is watching……

5 Likes

I’m now 80 and share the same sentiment. It’s being on my mat consistently that I strive for, because it’s such a simple and worthwhile pleasure ……and it feeds my soul!

4 Likes

Un placer, encantado amigo.

1 Like

The levels aren’t wholly objective, so I read the descriptions of the practices and the comments to determine whether or not a class is a good fit for me.

I’ve seen comments in intermediate and advanced classes that mention how this class was a student’s bridge/introduction to the next level. There are also usually comments describing how the class challenges a particular area of the anatomy.

3 Likes