Yoga for adults with ADHD

Has anyone made any experience with yoga as a treatment/therapy for ADHD?

Or are there any clues for meditation practice for people with this issue?

1 Like

In my experience, the effects of yoga depends on the person. Some people with ADHD respond best to vigorous yoga and others to slow-paced yoga or meditation. Is this for you or someone you know?

Thanks for your response. It is for me. 2 years ago I was diagnosed and since then I am searching for ways to calm down.

1 Like

Ok. Have you found certain teachers or styles to work for you? I would recommend trying seated meditation - you may want to start with my Mindfulness meditation videos or audio. You could mix that with some challenging yoga classes, depending on what level you are at.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I guess I am not ready for meditation yet.
I will work my way through your videos here, attending “real” classes is diffcult for me, because I get distracted very easily. It is all about patience…

1 Like

Ok, sounds like a good plan. Let me know how it goes for you.
Yes, patience certainly helps! :slight_smile:

I see that it has been a while since this conversation has ended but wanted to thank you for the thread as i find it personally very helpful

2 Likes

Good to hear! It’s an important issue.

1 Like

Happy to see other peolpe being interested in this topic! I found out for myself that Poweryoga/Vinyasa is very helpful in my case. The flow keeps my mind busy and the need to stay focused is perfect for me. As a contrast I try to do my best with Yin Yoga…

1 Like

This thread is old, but thought I’d share this, anyway:

There are variances in the ways ADHD may present so it’s good to keep in mind that what suits one person may not suit another… but, I’ve found both vinyasa and yin yoga to be of benefit to me. When I need to burn off some energy or feel stuck, I find myself turning to vinyasa, and when I feel overwhelmed or overstimulated, I find myself turning to yin.

What I understand from observing my own experience and hearing from fellow individuals who are the ADHD-kind-of-neurodivergent is that stopping, relaxing, being still, etc. is often reeeally a struggle. Practicing yin regularly for the last couple years has noticably expanded my capacity for stillness in body & mind, although it began as a profoundly uncomfortable practice for me. I only carried on with the practice because of how notably different I felt at the end each time.

1 Like