Alternatives to Yoga With Adriene?

Personally I love Adriene and her videos were what got me into yoga and practising almost every day (at home & in public classes). My boyfriend wants to start practising too, and I thought YWA videos would be a good start, so this morning I put on her video for PTSD (since we’ve recently been going through a fairly traumatic time in our city). After about 10 minutes he said he didn’t think he could handle listening to her voice for another half hour; and when we discussed it (after I stopped the video, quite upset) he explained that it was too much talking (and too loud) for him to concentrate and relax, and that it was triggering some anxiety (sensory overload). For me, I find Adriene’s talking helpful and insightful, as I’m able to close my eyes and take her cues, and I love that she adds humour and fun. But does anyone know of any yoga teachers on YouTube who are less talkative, or perhaps more gently-spoken? [I feel it would be difficult to find something like this for beginners, because more explanation of the poses are needed, right?]

1 Like

Hello there. Thanks for the question.

My feeling is that your boyfriend is reacting to both the way and the amount that she is speaking. I would highly recommend trying out one of Guy’s classes on our website. Another alternative would be Rachel or myself, David. We all do our best to be precise in our teaching and your boyfriend may really like that.

Let me know if you need any help finding specific classes.

Take care,

David
DoYogaWithMe Founder

2 Likes

Check out Jason Crandell, great instruction

1 Like

I got into online yoga classes nine months ago. I browsed several youtube channels and I didn’t stay with Adriene. She’s a nice and friendly girl, but her videos are too short for me, and I agree with your boyfriend that she talks a bit too much. Aside from DYWM, I would recommend you Yoga with Kassandra, Five Parks Yoga and Brett Larkin Yoga. I love these three women. Kassandra is similar to Adriene, but “less friendly”, meaning she’s in a more serious mood. Erin Sampson, from Five Parks Yoga, is quite serious and she has very powerful videos. Brett Larkin is very nice and friendly, maybe she’s the most similar to Adriene.
A few days ago, though, I signed up on DYWM because I love their yoga challenges. I’ve done online classes by Fiji McAlpine, Rachel Scott and Christa Shillington. Awsome they all three.

1 Like

I got into online yoga classes nine months ago. I browsed several youtube channels and I didn’t stay with Adriene. She’s a nice and friendly girl, but her videos are too short for me, and I agree with your boyfriend that she talks a bit too much. Aside from DYWM, I would recommend you Yoga with Kassandra, Five Parks Yoga and Brett Larkin Yoga. I love these three women. Kassandra is similar to Adriene, but “less friendly”, meaning she’s in a more serious mood. Erin Sampson, from Five Parks Yoga, is quite serious and she has very powerful videos. Brett Larkin is very nice and friendly, maybe she’s the most similar to Adriene.
A few days ago, though, I signed up on DYWM because I love their yoga challenges. I’ve done online classes by Fiji McAlpine, Rachel Scott and Christa Shillington. Awsome they all three.

thankyou for this!!

1 Like

I hear your boyfriend. The Absolute Beginner program with David here on DYWM has suited me better than any of the YouTube offerings I’ve seen, including Adriene’s. With the 2-month free offer (no credit card required), it might be worth a try.

4 Likes

Hi there, I wanted to respond to your question. I have tried Adriene’s yoga, enjoyed it but did not stick with her for the same reason of your boyfriend’s reaction, too chatty. I found DYWM and have stuck with it because of the quietness, the precision teaching cues and overall calmness of each class. The instructors are many and you can test out to see if you match their style. I love David’s meditation classes and many others. I like yoga to be tranquil yet strengthening of heart and health. I find it at DYWM.

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s nice to hear the feedback.

I find David’s voice very calming and he gives very good instruction’ I agree about Adriene, she is too chatty and silly for me. Journey Junkie is my fave after DYWM.

2 Likes

Fiji McAlpine on DYWM is calm, professional and easy to listen to.

1 Like

I recommend Melissa Krieger right here on DYWM. I belong to different fitness groups and for the past few years everyone has started Adriene’s challenges at the start of the year. I only last about 3 days, for the same reason. So, to get the pain out of my brain, I turn to Melissa. She has a soothing voice, doesn’t talk too much, and doesn’t get into all that same type of chatter as Adriene.

2 Likes

Yes. I second that about Melissa. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just completed some classe with Melissa and you are so right, she is a natural leader and so calm and accomplished.

2 Likes

i would recommend yoga with priyanka (dot) ca

Can I just AGAIN how much I love Melissa’s classes? She’s my favorite teacher by far. I’ve been lucky to take some Zoom classes with her. She has the style of teaching I most identify with, although I love the others on the site, too. Each has his or her own style. I also have to give David a shout out for having the BEST introduction to yoga resources. I had never really done much yoga when I began practicing a few years ago, and David’s absolute beginner classes were SO important to me understanding how to breathe, how to align properly, etc.

1 Like