Asana Lab Workshops Coming Soon!

We are excited to announce a new feature on our site to help you grow and expand your practice on the mat. In 2024 we will be launching Asana Lab, a monthly livestream workshop lead by Fiji or David. This will be held on zoom so you can interact with us in real time, ask questions, and get personalized pointers. We will cover a variety of topics from peak pose workshops, to working on shoulder stability and mobility, or how to build your inversion practice. In addition to ideas we have, we also want to hear from you!!! What would you like the monthly workshop to cover? Please share your ideas here so we can build a fun, fruitful, community building experience.

2 Likes

This sounds grand. I expect it is your plan, but assure us in the midlife and senior communities that it will be useful for all. I like having DYWM events to look forward to!

1 Like

It may not be on brand for Asana Lab, but content I would love to see on the site is guided exploration of bandhas, marma points, and/or pranayama. The deeper practices we don’t often have time to do more than touch on in a flow class.
From a strict Asana standpoint, a crow series with wrist openers and strengthening, core strengthening, and including both crow and side crow could be fun. A class working toward multiple variations of eka pada koundinyasana (similarly with attention to wrists) is approachable since the floor is so nearby. 8-angle pose was the first “trick” I could do in an asana class, and I remember being shocked and amazed with myself. I have rarely seen it in a recorded class, but I think it’s a peak pose that many experienced practitioners could attain.

4 Likes

This is a fantastic idea, and one we can have as one of the Asana Lab focuses. This is an opportunity to help everyone step deeper into practice and understanding bandhas, pranayama, and some other components of the more subtle body practices is key.

I would also love to teach the crow all ways workshop and will make sure that is one of the first ones on our list!

4 Likes

+1 to the need for help with crow pose!

2 Likes

Hip mobility and strengthening poses

3 Likes

I have been practising yoga with Fiji’s video after I moved to a city where I could not find yoga classes. The lower version of the wheel pose, where the elbows&forearms touch the ground, is an asana I haven’t dared to do it myself without more detailed instruction.

I would also appreciate breathworks for/in preparation for vinyasa & hatha yoga!

1 Like

These are both great ideas and are part of the schedule we have created for the first 6 months! I will be leading an exploration into backbends and we will also have a class teaching and exploring pranayama!

Yes please for an inversions asana lab! Head, forearm and handstand.
(I can’t seem to get up into handstand even against a wall, although I know my shoulders are open enough and my arms are strong enough to support me. Are there any tricks or exercises that would help me overcome my fear?)

1 Like