Can't Straighten Elbows

Hello everyone!

I have never been able to straighten my elbows- a trait I inherited from my mother. It is a painless condition and seems to be caused by my Ulna bone, particularly the Olecranon which you can feel blocking my arm from becoming completely straight. (*Disclaimer I am in no way a doctor, I just Googled arm bones and am discerning from what I know of my own body vs what it seemed to correlate with on a diagram. :smiley: )
Growing up with this as my body - it has its way of compensating for it- I consider myself of a strong and athletic build.

That being said, I can’t help but wonder if this condition of my elbows would lead to long term injury in postures such as plank? -As I am unable to truly “stack” my arms underneath my shoulders and on top of my wrists?

Does anyone else have a similar condition and suggestions for safe ways to continue in my practice while working within my body’s means?? :face_with_monocle:

Hope everyone is happy and healthy in these strange times. :mask: :revolving_hearts:
A HUGE thank you to the DYw/M community, -particularly to its organizers for allowing the free premium subscription while we are all sheltering-in-place not to mention all the wonderful free classes you always have offered. :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

Namaste!
Alexsa

1 Like

Hello Alexsa and welcome!

It seems to me that the problem is really only there when you are fully bearing your weight, with your shoulders over your hands (for example, in plank or handstand). I’m guessing that it doesn’t prevent you from doing downward dog.

I don’t believe what you’re describing would make you more susceptible to injury. It sounds more like it would simply exhaust your muscles quicker, because you are unable to stack your joints. In that case, you could modify plank by going down onto your elbows. Would that work?

I hope you’re happy and healthy too and thank you for the kind words!

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

Both down dog and plank are accessible to me; but yes, they do tire me sometimes more quickly than I would expect. -I am ok with this fatigue …when I am not distracted by worry of long-term injury! :muscle:

I of course will do my own due diligence of listening to what my body is telling me, but I am relieved and heartened by your reply and look forward to continuing my practice with a little more peace of mind!

Namaste!

1 Like