Yoga poses to help straighten elbow

I am looking for poses to help me with my elbow after breaking it a year and a half ago. I am fully healed andI have gained a lot more range of motion/flexibility after physical/occupational therapy and yoga for the shoulder, wrist and hand (from David and Josh). I want to get the last few degrees for elbow extension as well as the last few degrees in flexion (so I can touch my shoulder - I am nearly there). Are there any poses/classes that might help me get there? Thanks!

1 Like

I am happy to hear you are recovering, it does take both time and dedication to get that full range of motion back, it was more than a year for my daughter after her break. I know the touch your shoulder test you are referring to!

for extension I would do some longer holds in plank, longer downward dogs with a focus on hugging the elbows in towards one another. For flection you could work on low plank and sphinx.

Yes, if there is anything I have learned through this journey…time and dedication have helped me to be where I am today (my OT had given up on me). Thank you very much for the suggestions of poses. I will add them to my daily routine.

1 Like

I can understand completely, broke both elbows in one year. My doctor was just happy I didn’t have a third!
I kind of got used to the crooked elbows but yoga has helped me over the years (12) to get them straigh. As Fiji pointed out, down dog with using all the muscles correctly, did the trick over timeđź‘ŤGood luck!

1 Like