Rotator cuff and downward dog…

I have on-going issues with rotator cuffs in both shoulders - not yet (hopefully never) sufficient for surgery but I’d like to avoid irritating them further (I am also a serious Aikido student, and hope to increase the shoulder flexibility while I’m off the mat due to COVID). I love Fiji’s classes, but wonder about the soreness I frequently experience afterwards. Do I need to do a different style, or are there adjustments I can make to downward dog and the other poses that require holding weight on my arms? (I do go to my knees in plank, and substitute cobra for upward dog…). Thank you!

1 Like

Hi there.

Oh, yes, I can relate to rotator cuff issues. In fact, many people can, especially if they do a lot of lifting, sitting at the computer, or weight-bearing exercises. I have a video coming soon that will help you a lot. It shows you how to engage your upper body when weight bearing in poses like downdog and plank. I’ll jump in here and let you know when it’s up. It will be on our Topics page.

Cheers,

David

3 Likes

David would you also add me to the list of persons to let know about your upcoming rotator cuff video? Thank you!

1 Like

So glad to hear there will be a video addressing this. I sometimes have issues with shoulder soreness and pain after lots of plank poses.

2 Likes

I too will look forward to seeing that video.

1 Like

I am having rotator and bicep pain and can’t get into many poses so I need this too!

1 Like

Great! It’s nice to know so many are excited to learn this. I’ll share the link here when it’s ready!

The link is ready! It’s a 2-part series on shoulder stability in our Tutorials section and here’s the first video:

Shoulder Stability, Part I

Take care,

David

1 Like