Getting back to yoga after hysterectomy?

Hello All

I am hoping someone could assist by pointing me in the right direction. I am
scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy (big cut across my belly with everything coming out) in April and am seeking advice (which is very thin on the ground), as to how to ease back into yoga safely after my surgery. I currently practice on the cusp of beginners/ intermediate level about 4-5 times per week.

Any advice or guidance would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Les

1 Like

Hello Les. I asked Sarah Jane about this and she sent a response, which I have copied below. She has a newborn, so is quite busy. I hope this helps!

"After surgery like a complete hysterectomy it’s best to really chill for the first 4-6 weeks. Meditation would be best at that time along with very short restorative yoga practices. After that gentle hathas should be ok with careful movements of arms overhead in poses like Utkatasna, keep Cobra pose very minimal and avoid crunches and poses that increase intra abdominal pressure like holding planks, crunches and boat pose until the core has been restrained by a physio, or if cleared by the surgeon to do so.

Hope this helps

SJ"

Hello David, thank you so much for getting back to me. Please could you also pass on my thanks to Sarah Jane for making the time to reply!! This does help - especially with calming me down a bit. It’s good to have a plan of action (and rest).

1 Like

Will do! And my pleasure!