Running and yoga

Is it better to run (for example 3 miles) before or after a yoga class?

1 Like

I regularly run/walk on a treadmill at the YMCA for about 30 minutes before a Barre/Pilates/Yoga class. I asked the class teacher who is a runner before trying this, and she said these the two types of exercise should complement one another because I’m using different muscle groups. I haven’t had any problems doing this and haven’t tried it before the Yoga/Pilates I do at home, but I may once the snow and ice melt. I’m interested in hearing what experiences others have had with running before or after a Yoga or Pilates class.

1 Like

Good question. I would say that ultimately it doesn’t matter. The aspect that is most important is whether the body is warm when it’s being stretched. Going for a run would do that well, which could add to the benefits of doing yoga, but an experienced yoga teacher will warm your body up in preparation for stretching anyway.

On the other hand, yoga can loosen up your joints, making it easier to run in a more relaxed way.

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. I apologize for not seeing your post sooner, but I failed to see the little mark in my profile photo that signals a post.

1 Like