Sangha Session 23: “Are you planning to make any big life changes in 2020?”

A cleanse, more exercise, a stronger, more flexible body… what are you looking to improve on? On the other hand, perhaps you’re perfectly happy the way you are and your new year’s resolution is to do everything you can to keep your life from changing!

Tell us about your plans for 2020!

1 Like

I will be entering a challenging 2020 with chemo and radiation. I would like your suggestions to help keep and increase my energy flow with some emphasis to keep the extremities, hand and feet warm. Meditation for mind calming is a must too. I have been practicing Hatha yoga for many years. With chemo, I have been forewarned will affect my energy level. Any guidance and advice from you? Thank you. AnnaS

1 Like

Hello AnnaS.

Wow, that is a challenging 2020 Anna. I realize we can’t do much to prevent the discomfort of chemo and radiation, but I hope you can get through it and come out the other side feeling ok. We do have quite a few meditations and classes that can help you. Have you checked out our Meditations page? I have guided meditations that are specific to cancer, as well as many relaxation, mindfulness and anxiety-related meditations.

If you choose ‘Yoga for Anxiety/Stress’ under ‘Style’ you can find a lot of classes that would be helpful. Check them out here.

Keep in touch. Let me know how it’s going.

Take care,

David

Thank you David. I just renewed my subscription for next year and will check out the Meditations and Yoga for Anxiety/Stress. I so enjoy your classes. Wishing you the best in the New Year. AnnaS

2 Likes

In 2020, I want to ditch the alcohol out of my diet. I have worked so hard this year on becoming plant based and increasing my strength and fitness, alcohol is the last thing getting in my way.
I also want to publish my book.

3 Likes

Wow, great things to strive for Susan!

1 Like

I plan to continue working on my fitness and continuing my shift towards more of a plant-based protein lifestyle. I had gastric bypass surgery a year ago, and it’s changed my life for the better, as has yoga, which I started doing 7 months ago through Do Yoga With Me.

1 Like

Hi Susan! Do you want a buddy to do this with on 2020? I too have began on a plant based journey (2 months in) and have done a lot to increase my strength and flexibility due to a stenosis of the spine diagnosis. If I want to be able to do the things I want to do in life I have to be strong! Only thing left now for me is to ditch the alcohol and I’d love to have a ‘buddy’! You can pm me on Facebook! Sandy Wallin

2 Likes

I am four and half months in on a one year no alcohol challenge, i have been a vegetarian for 50years and i want to to move towards a plant based diet. Although i have been a runner for 40years i have never done a half marathon and i want to do the great north run the bigest half marathon in the world. I started meditation 5months ago and have not missed a day so want to continue through the the year. I will continue with daily yoga practice. Not bad for a lady of 62.

5 Likes

Wow! Amazing! Yes, not bad for a lady of 62 alright! :slight_smile:

I am not planning any big changes this year, and you know what the universe usually has to say about that :rofl:

Last year I started an almost-daily yoga practice and I want to continue that in the coming year. My flexibility has increased and I am learning a lot about patience by showing up on my mat every day. Thank you, DYWM, for making this possible. I have learned so much from this site and from the various teachers I have “met” through their classes here. This resource has helped me deal with grief, loneliness, depression, and bodily aches and pains. I am so very grateful for the work you do to provide instruction. Thank you, and may you all be greatly blessed in the coming year.

6 Likes

Hi David. I’ve just retired at the end of 2019 and plan to really focus on my health and fitness through 2020 and beyond. I have just renewed my subscription and am aiming for a daily practice. I’m also hoping to spend a lot more time in nature, get some veggies growing and do some more bird watching.

1 Like

To be kinder. I want to be less stressed and not have my work consume me. I want to be kinder and more patient to those I love as they can oftentimes be my emotional dumping ground.

4 Likes

I have found that when we are kind to ourselves, we revitalize energy to be kind to all =)

2 Likes

It is observed that when we practice conscious loving-kindness to ourselves, we revitalize energy to be kind to all =)

healing inner and inter being

Practice, not perfection ;

What helps you release work? What revitalizes you?
What allows ease? Might ease be found as you observe tension surfacing in the mind and body?

Practicing deep breathing, deep listening, and loving speech,
non violent communication,
and Gottman communication insights,
Mindfulness practices
Green Mind Theory
journaling may be helpful =)

Sometimes phrases can help recenter our attention to intention, like
“Smile” on the inspiration
“RelEASE” on the out breath

Visualizations, like sunsets, beach, Mountain View. Envisioned vacation

Honesty and awareness are great first steps;

Are there people in the community who are willing to help hold you accountable in a constructive, healthy way?

we may consider these Gathas and guides:

(Bodh Gaya India)

Fierce Compassion Sangha

Tasks:

Viewing my to-do list,

I vow to breathe,

choose mindfully

and concentrate on abundance.

;
Anger:

Darling, I know I am quick to anger.

I vow to see your heart.

I vow to rest in our love.

With kindness for you,

I am kind to myself.
;

Worry:

Worrying.

I recognize the habit energy.

I smile to it.

I let it pass like a cloud.

I breathe.

(Reminds me of ~ Rajas & jhana)
;

Being gentle:

Discomforts, irritability, judging.

I vow to breathe peacefully.

Gentle with all beings, including myself.

Let go of fighting reality.

(Reminds me of ~ Bhakti)
;

Walking:

Walking to the office, I smile

I feel mother earth

Supporting me and all beings.

Feel each step— gently rolling with tender peace and gratitude
Yes, thank, release
;

Leaving:

Crossing the threshold to leave,

I vow to hold compassion

For all I meet.

(~ Bhakti)

;
Computer:

Turning on the computer,

I vow

To be aware of this miracle

And to be mindful of my energy.
;

Distraction:

When my mind begins and/or continues

To spin out of the present moment,

I vow

To support myself

with the grace of loving kindness

;
Loneliness:

When feeling lonely and abandoned,

I vow

To breathe deeply and behold

What is needed

To inhabit my body.

(~Bhakti)
;

Breathing in, I notice fear

Breathing out, compassion softens, I ease everything

(Inspired by Thich Nhat Hanh and bodhisattvas)

;
Breathing in, I notice doubt

Breathing out, I thank, release-

Opening

Inquiring

Creating

Truth

;
Breathing in, I observe self-criticism and judgment

Breathing out, I ease with compassion and find constructive integrity
;

Breathing in, I may observe impatience in zeal (cloud) (swollen river)

Breathing out, I arrive in the NOW-

a timelessness, conscious gift & joy (drop, ripple)
;
Inspiring, I notice tense judgment and irritation
Exhaling, I release (leaf) mind & body and smile and accept gentle love streaming (heart surrounding rain cloud with sun behind) (sprout)

During 2020, I need to learn my new normal after losing my 27-year old son to a drug overdose last October. I have practiced with DYWM for many years, but for 2020 I subscribed because I really want to stick with a consistent yoga and meditation practice. I’ve neglected my health for the last few months and I need to do better with my diet and exercise.

1 Like

Wow, I can’t imagine what you’re going through. I’m sorry to hear that. I wish you the best as you grieve and move on.
Take care,
David

1 Like

My normal behavior is always to be on the go. But this year, I am slowing down and simplifying my life (reducing commitments & travel, etc.) I am going to take care of my physical body, my home, and my mental/spiritual health - rather than squeezing in as much “adventure” as possible. My daily yoga practice will be a priority.

1 Like

Recently I started doing yoga and wanted to pick up some exercises. Perhaps there are links, or maybe where to read?

1 Like

Hi @1986miamart.inez. Do you mean that you are looking for some beginner classes to start with?