Transitioning between downward dog and plank - need to adjust length

Whenever I transition from plank to downward dog I always feel the need to adjust the length of my downward dog and bring my feet closer to my hands. Is it OK to do this? I’m worried that maybe my plank is wrong or my dog is wrong but I always have to make adjustments when I transition between the two so it never feels “smooth”.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah,

This many be because you desire your feet to feel more flat in downdog, wanting the heels to be on the ground. Many of us won’t get our heels on the ground in downdog due to the anatomy of our foot/ankle connection. This is ok, as long as you feel a lengthening of the achilles tendon you are getting the benefit. Another reason many just be that all of our bodies are different, your leg length and torso length may make it so the placement of hands and feet need to be different in these poses. I do understand the desire to be more fluid and I always encourage conservation of movement in a transition like that one. For that reason, I would suggest keeping the length needed in plank so you don’t hurt your wrists and shoulders, and allow your downdog to feel long with heels floating.

2 Likes