How much can I do Yoga every day as an absolute beginner?

Hello,
Thank you for all the Beginners videos you have on your website. I am an absolute beginner. I do not even know how to properly breath, so this will give you an idea at my beginner’s stage. Basically, I do not know anything about Yoga, but I have so many physical injures, I am interested in meditation, and also my doctor has recommended me to do Yoga, and this is why I am here. I love your website and I even have my “fav” yoga teacher already! However, I am not sure if I am doing it right, in terms of time. I have read all the beginners stages and some of the Additional Resources.

Right now, I am only doing the three videos “Learn the Yoga Basics,” so my question would it be, for how long should I continue doing these exercises and if I should do all of three videos at one time, every day?

Thank you for your guidance and for helping better our lives. You are indeed amazing.

Namaste.

Hello there!

Thanks for reaching out. I’m glad you’ve joined our community!

Think of stretching the same way you would think of strength training. The amount and frequency that you choose to do depends on your needs and where your body is at. If you would like to increase flexibility, stretch more frequently for longer sessions. Your body will tell you if you’ve done to much - it will be a bit sore the next day. Some soreness is ok, but you want to avoid feeling too sore.

It also sounds like you’re being careful to do your best to do yoga safely. Starting with those videos is the way to go, and as long as you’re practicing with mindfulness, you’ll be fine.

I hope that answers your questions!

3 Likes

Hi! Like you, I began as an absolute beginner a little over 2 years ago. I found DYWM and began with David’s basics classes. I’m so glad I did. I learned so much with the basics series and built my practice from there. I totally agree with David that listening to your body is key. If I was too sore, I would take the next day off and come back to it. If I was a “good sore”, I knew I could work through that, and often, stretching out the soreness helped tremendously.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. That is what I do, I try to do to or three of David’s lessons and then I check how I feel the next day and go from there. Thank you so much again.

1 Like

Hello David,
I am so pleased and happy I found this amazing website. I can do Yoga in the comfort of my house at least during these hard times. I have been following all the beginner basic videos and, even though, they are very basic, they have helped me tremendously with my body malaise. I suffer from a condition that is similar to fibromyalgia, headaches and migraines. Starting doing Yoga have helped me a lot. Thank you for all you do for us. I will follow you advice, of course, and thank you deeply from my heart your tremendous help.

Namaste.

1 Like

Awesome! That’s terrific. :blush: