Old and new and stiff as a board!

Hi
At 62 I am trying to counter 40 years of working at a desk with yoga! Now two weeks in and its kind of OK but all the instructors can bend like paperclips and frankly I don’t. Yes, they say come out of it or modify etc but what I hear is “well looks like you can’t do this, too bad”. Is there something progressive that I can follow which has an attitude of “you could take this further if it is comfortable” rather than “Here is the pose but feel free to give up on it”

Anyway will persevere either way - Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks… your message made me smile. This is something that teachers try to do well, but sometimes struggle with - how to talk to those who are unable to do what they are doing.

We have quite a few hatha yoga teachers who take a very gentle approach - like Melissa, Guy, Sarah, Satiya and myself. Have you tried any classes from those teachers?

Cheers,

David

1 Like

Thanks, will give these a try :+1:

1 Like

Just on day 2 of the over 55 challenge with David - after two weeks of practice the staff pose is the hardesy thing I have done! Will be fascinated to come back to this at the end of the month and see if I can do it :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, staff pose is a hard one for so many people!

Hi PG, Just wanted to jump and say hi! I , too, have hip issues from sitting too long at a deskand on public transportation. Want to recommend David’s “Deep Release Hips, hamstrings and lower back” as a great way to undo some of the desk damage and get you flexible. It takes time and patience. Also try classes with Melissa Krieger–she has some really gentle basic stuff and you won’t feel like giving up.
Most of the instructors here will say “do what is comfortable for YOU” . It’s more important to work on form and getting your breathing right, and then practicing as much as you can. It’s not called “a practice” for nothing! :woozy_face:
Anyway, welcome to the community and good luck to you!
Namaste,
Leigh T

4 Likes

thanks Leigh - have caught up with some of what you mention and the journey continues :wink:

1 Like

Hi PG–I’m in your age group. Been doing yoga on and off (more on) for 40 yrs. Instructors are often showing you an ideal pose, not one you can do today or maybe ever. Yoga is practice, and every day your practice will feel different. Enjoy the small improvements you make, and if you can’t do it the next day, so what, you are still taking care of yourself. Bravo that you started doing something that will make your body feel good or even great!

1 Like

Haha OK I get it:-)

It is becoming a daily routine so hopefully in a few months things will be easier if never perfect…

1 Like

@pghumphries, I hear you! My strength and balance seem to be far more advanced than my flexibility. Even the recommended “gentle” instructors will ask me to bend my body into “you’ve got to be kidding!” positions. I do wish there were lessons specifically designed for people who just don’t bend. That said, I have found that most instructors reply to questions about adaptations within a couple days. That can be helpful for the next time, but it doesn’t help much in the moment. If nothing else, know that there are others out there who are facing the same frustrations as you.

3 Likes

I am also old and a bit stiff. I’ve been doing the Oceanside Restorative Yoga, and love it. I wonder about the times when Melissa tells the class to put blocks or rolled blankets underneath an arm or leg that is not fully resting against the floor or some other solid surface, so that it can “fully relax.” I have not done that. I have not wanted to interrupt the pose by reaching for something, and instead allowed the suspended limb or whatever to simply pull and stretch while I breathe into it. How important is the blocking?

1 Like

Hi Leigh, I’m another stiff yoga student and I too love Davids Deep Release Hips, hamstrings and lower back and have also found Melissas classes fantastic, it really helped me keep going. As for using props, I used a lot early on and found them really helpful but have found as I slowly improved my flexibilty I haven’t needed so many. Trish

1 Like

Hello all, I am 69 and have had yoga in my life for a long time. I am not naturally flexible and I don’t let the stiffness bother because there is always modifications and I use props when I need to. DYWM has so many choices of classes that I am able to find ones that are challenging but not injurious.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing and feel free to post questions here if you have any.
Cheers,
David
DoYogaWithMe Founder

Using props if the full pose is not available to me helps me immensely. It allows gravity to do its work, and the prop to hold me up in correct alignment/posture/position. I don’t have to strain or worry about going too far, or not enough. I find that it usually gradually leads to a prop free posture in my body’s own time, while I can stay focussed on the whole experience. I have observed within my own practice, and when I have noticed others in “live” classes that muscles seem to work in opposition to what the pose is designed for, if one pushes beyond what the body is ready for, and chooses to stay clear of props. It has seemed to me, that using props usually means an easier and often faster transition to a prop-free practice.
I often find that I may need to use props one day and not on another day, even with the same postures. My body seems to be on a journey of its own, and all I can do, if I want what is best for it, is to follow what it requests each day.

5 Likes

Thank you! for this very helpful insight.

1 Like

and adding to my earlier post having discovered Guys classes recently, I find them very accessible for those of us who are a bit stiff or inflexible too.

5 Likes

@pghumphries My desire for greater flexibility and mobility launched me into DYWM 3yrs before the pandemic. Beyond the poses, the secret is in the dedication to breath that helps gently push through some of the poses. But know too, as I’ve come to learn, our bodies are our own. The physiology is different for everyone. Give yourself grace to practice where you are at — you “do” you.
When I remind myself that most of our DWYM teachers like @doyogawithme David have over 20+ yrs of training, I can return my focus to my own journey with greater permission to grow with their teachings, rather than grow discouraged. Namaste

2 Likes

I am returned to yoga at young age of 62 and now 63 and enrolled in the YTT of DYWM. Persevering even after a surprise heart attack. I’m better than ever for having resumed yoga practice (not just asana) after years of hefty martial art training and crucifying myself in a stressful job. I am way more chill and blissful. It doesn’t matter that I ain’t bendy and twisty like I was years ago.

4 Likes

Perseving is right! This is incredible and so true, being more relaxed and blissful is what we can open to through yoga.

1 Like