Sangha Session 9: "What class filters would you like to see, along with Style, Duration, Teacher and Difficulty?"

Adding challenging beginner please.

6 Likes

If you are still counting, in order of preference, main body part would be useful (I have searched poses but have no skill in tying them together). Maybe equipment/no equipment? Main purpose (although type of yoga possibly helps here) ie stretch/release, strength, flexibility. However I find a class - sometimes by accident - I find benefit in them all.

2 Likes

Hi David, I agree with the body part focus and also including things like flexibility, strength etc. I also thing it’s useful, along with beginner, intermediate and advanced to have an ‘all’ category, eg the yin classes are tagged as beginner but personally I find them the most challenging. However, by doing a class many times I am learning to do them in a more advanced way (ie slow doesn’t necessarily mean easier!) I belong to another online yoga service and they have the categories I have mentioned and they are extremely useful.

1 Like

Definitely by focus eg relaxation, strength, flexibility, stamina

1 Like

I agree with what a lot of other folks are saying about body part of focus / or a thematic focus (relaxation, strength, etc.), as well as a shift in the time filters. Someone gave the example of looking for a 30-50 minute class, and to do that currently might involve scrolling through two separate searches.

Something that would be a game-changer for me would be the ability to select multiple options for each filter (vs a single item in a drop-down). For example: I want a class that’s between 20-60 minutes long, either intermediate or beginner, and taught by one of my three favorite (for now ;)) teachers.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for asking. A very simple word search would be welcome - so that one could find body parts, but also “prenatal,” “flow,” or other helpful descriptions. I am learning more about using the filters from reading the comments - I use multiple filters now to find a class with a particular teacher of a particular length.
I really appreciate your work.

2 Likes

I would also like the duration filter divided by 10 minutes instead of 20. Thanks for asking! Namaste, Tom

2 Likes

Body parts would be great and also to find classes for better sleep easier. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with this wholeheartedly!! Alternatively, I wish there was a way to click several multiple selections in a category at once.

2 Likes

Fantastic feedback, everyone! We’re taking notes and coming up with ideas for 2019!

Cheers,

David

0 Likes

Just thinking about my journey with DYWM, an absolute beginner filter would be very helpful. I tried some beginner classes in the beginning that were a bit challenging but persevered. I have recommended your site to others and would hate for them to give up because the first class they tried was too difficult.

1 Like

I like the website much. I would maybe add a Mood/goal of the day: e.g., creating energy/fire, working on strength, calming the mind, brining focus,
And maybe have some category: morning wake up, meditative, on the way to bed. Many thanks!

2 Likes

I would love a class devoted to side stretches. I have tried to search a class with just this as the focus but have not found many options. I think a lot of my hip and back issues are due to the shortening (poor posture) of my side bodies… Thanks!!

1 Like

Personally, I know exactly what I’d like to see! I’m a dishwasher and its a lot of upper body work, and I wish there were a way to pick flows WITHOUT lots of chaturanga dandasana. Lots of times I wind up doing classes that are TOO easy or too relief-oriented just because I’m so sore in the shoulders, neck, and upperback – even though I’ve got plenty of juice in the legs and core. If you ever implement an advanced search function I feel like maybe you could have a “do not include in search results” filter. I don’t know I’m not a programmer but I think this sort of thing is pretty regular. Even without counting and logging the number of chaturangas for every class I could at least filter out shoulder-heavy classes if you introduced a body-part filter.

That said, I love the simplicity of the website as well. Often I just look to your Newly posted videos category or do a tried and true search for classes with dawn or fiji or rachel or ron or sarah or erica or tracy or melissa or you or… the list goes on :slight_smile:

keep doin what you’re doing and thank you

3 Likes

If there were a way to search for recommendations based on classes I have already done.

1 Like

Maybe sitting/standing only? Sometimes I’m not feeling the downdog vibe so I choose a hip themed class only to find much of that class involved hip openers in down dog. I know you’ve had heaps of different requests so thanks for everything you do for everyone.

1 Like

I’d like to see exact duration filters, where you can enter values for any minimum time and any maximum time, so I would have the ability to search for classes that are between 25-35 minutes for example. And please do not take away the “yoga type” filter - love it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you everyone! This is really helpful!

0 Likes

hi david, one other thought if you’re still taking suggestions… i’d like the ability to hide the time/progress bar that’s across the bottom of the screen. i end up focusing on how much time is left of the class instead of the yoga itself! thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I am!
The progress bar should disappear after a few seconds when you start a video - unless your mouse is still hovering over it. Is that possible?

0 Likes