Sciatica - helpful poses?

I would like to have specific suggestions to help with sciatica… either certain poses , or any other information that could be useful. i.e. - what have other people found that was helpful or this condition. Thank you.

1 Like

Best of luck with your recovery and healing. My wife had sciatica for about 6 months and it really limited her activities. I’ll leave the yoga pose recommendations to the yoga experts. :grinning:. My wife found that deep massage and a PT routine which focused on the core and targeted muscles worked the best, and she tried a lot of different routes.

Hopefully, it goes away soon for you.

1 Like

Hi Barrie … thanks so much for your email and words of encouragement. Mine has also been 6 months and so far nothing helping…chiropractor … and some PEMF sessions. It is especially agonizing first thing in the morning. I will start trying recommended yoga poses , but am wondering if acupuncture would be helpful …and also an “Inversion table’. Has your wife had any experience with these?

Thank you for your kind thoughts

Blessings … Marilyn

2 Likes

Greetings Marilyn,
my wife spent a lot of time researching and did hear that both acupuncture and inversion table treatments can help. She personally didn’t try these because she really doesn’t like needles nor being upside down. I’ve had IT band issues from overuse in the past and personally found acupuncture plus PT to help.

Sorry to hear you have been dealing with it so long. In addition to your yoga poses, you could always try out acupuncture and inversion to see if it helps.

Best of luck with finding what works for you,
Barry

1 Like

Thanks again Barry for your reply. That’s very helpful to know . I can understand your wife’s reluctance to try those things; I feel somewhat the same, but am at a place right now where I am willing to try anything that may help, and hope that I find the thing that will work for me.

I am glad your wife was able to find relief and hope she never has to deal with it again.

Blessings … Marilyn

1 Like

The key to sciatica relief is releasing all of the muscles in the hip, most notably the piriformis, which can cause the pinching nerve. Have you tried this class?

https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-sciatica-relief

1 Like

Yes… have Bookmarked it and going to try it today . Thank you !

Thanks for your email David … I just tried the class for sciatic relief, and have to say I found it very hard. This was the first time I have done any Yoga since last August. I’m wondering if there is maybe a shorter version, at least to start with … or maybe I should only do some of the poses ? I want to do enough so that it will be helpful, but don’t want to overdue it and make things even worse.

I will look forward to your advice.

Thanks again .

Blessings … Namaste … Marilyn

2 Likes

Hi Marilyn.

Apologies for the delay in responding. Yes, I would recommend exactly what you said - do some of the poses in that class. It’s designed to stretch all of the muscles that could be playing a role in sciatica, so loosening them all would help immensely. Also, the class will feel hard at first, but as those muscle get used to stretching, it’ll get a bit easier every time you do it.

Hi David, I am trying to get into the class link you sent for sciatica relief, with no success! It says “no internet connection”. I am able to get into other classes and use my google search so not sure what to do.
Please help. Thanks New Subscriber

1 Like

Hmmmm … I just tried the link and I had no trouble getting it.

Still not able to get in…even though I’ve refreshed many times…very frustrating!
Ps see attached
Anne

Can you try this and see if this works for you ?

Can you try this and see if this works for you ?

Thanks for your help.
I was able to get in with my Ipad…not sure why it doesn’t work on my laptop.
Thanks again and enjoy the weekend.

1 Like

That’s great ! wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

1 Like

Good to hear, @anne9 and thanks for the help @maman!

Would you like me to pass on your issue to our tech team, @Anne9?

Cheers,

David

For sure David, many thanks

Anne

1 Like

@anne9 You might have a plugin issue with your Chrome browser. I’d first try clearing your browser’s cache, then turning off any extensions you have in Chrome. Logging in and out of the website might also fix the issue.

I recommend David’s Yoga for Sciatica class, too. I was experiencing some sciatica last week, and although yes, the class is challenging, if you stick with it, it helps SO much.

1 Like

I do yoga for sciatica about twice a week. I also integrate some of the stretches in my morning stretch. It was very difficult at first, but has become more relief and less work. It has definitely formed the basis of my ability to heal. I also do the chair yoga lower body routine. Very good and slightly easier. The key is to continue stretching the back and legs, I believe.

1 Like